Friday, March 27, 2009

Twitter and the like

It's everywhere. I'm sure by now most every active participant of American society has at least heard the word, "twitter." I know I for one heard it everywhere--walking from class to class, from my co-workers--even in classes! It really sounds more like a bug than a Web site.

For those who aren't familiar with Twitter and its ever-expanding fanbase, this a simple breakdown--the way I see it--and why I like it.

Simply stated: Twitter is a social networking site defined as "micro-blogging." Users update what they are doing or information they'd like to share with their community in 140 characters or less via web or text messaging.

It started, from what I understand, as a simple way for a company in San Francisco to update each other on their status' on projects. Since then, its expanded, and other corporations, institutions and government-related officials began using it.

It's been used for lots of reasons, some which sound pretty neat! One non-profit used it to raise awareness and held a "Twitter" convention, spreading the word to other users.

Twitter was also used by the Israeli government to hold an open, worldwide conference addressing the Gaza conflict.

In my small world, I think it's useful for two reasons: It helps you keep connected with friends, no matter the distance, and can keep you better involved in the world around you.

For example (bear with my silly example), there is this cupcake place called Sugar Mama's that makes delectable, irresistible cupcakes. I am now "following" them on Twitter, so I get to see neat events they have. It was cool logging on the other day to see, "The weather's so nice, we're having half-off cupcakes all day. Get 'em while they last." Think of the cupcakes I would've missed out on!

It's also got practical benefits, though. I recently added a news network, and now I get one or two-line updates of news around Texas. It's super-useful because it's hard finding time to sit down and read a newspaper.

Also, it's a neat way for friends to stay in touch and share fun stuff. With so many things that keep us from seeing each other (schedules, distance, work and on and on), Twitter makes it easier to feel connected. I mean, I can see what my friend in the Netherlands is doing throughout her day!

Yeah...it sounds stalkerish, and maybe it's slightly narcisisstic, but it's good fun! There's no denying it. Also, it's more private than say, Facebook status', where everyone is forced to know every tedious detail of your life--whether they like it or not. With Twitter, only someone who wants to know what's going on with you will know.

Try it out! Follow me at twitter.com/keyrey.

No comments: