Friday, May 08, 2009

Guatemala Pre-Documentaries: Introduction


So in the coming weeks, I'm going to be venturing across borders to Guatemala--specifically, a city called Antigua and Guatemala City.

I hope to more successfully document my travels in Guatemala than when I was in France. This is my initial attempt. I don't know too specifically what I'll write about, but I figure the story unfolds itself as you go; if I try to hard to give it a focus, I think I'd lose what this trip is supposed to be about.

Roughly stated, however, I decided months ago I wanted to spend a longer time than I ever had in the country from which my entire family originated. I've traveled there since I was young, and the memories I've retained have been of nothing but gorgeous landscapes, delicious food and warm-hearted, colorful people. I always looked forward to trips with excitement.

For the first time, however, I am going in hopes of truly immersing myself in what it is my parents and family grew up in. I've never understood why they migrated here in the first place--growing up, it seemed ludicrous to leave a land of such beauty and excitement for the mundane suburban lifestyle we're now used to here.

So here goes! Karina's back-to-my-element-kinda trip. A close friend I hoodwinked into going with me and I will do a combination of traveling and volunteering in the small village of Jocotenango, located ten minutes outside of Antigua.

I'll write later on to explain the history and any interesting things that'll help explain the country known for its lakes, volcanoes, Mayan civilization and diverse culture and arts. Expect that in posts to come!

Espero que les guste!

1 comment:

duendemaya said...

Hola Karina,

Congratulations on your trip to Guatemala. Antigua is a very nice place to stay around this time of the year; the rain makes it even more "interesting", so grab a lightweight hooded poncho and get ready for some locally brewed coffee or hot chocolate. Don't recommend you an umbrella though, especially if is windy.

Before you go, take a look at places you’ll like to visit in Antigua by checking out Rudy’s blog: http://antiguadailyphoto.com. He’s been documenting pretty well his long-stay at his adopting city for while now.

For writing purposes, just go with the flow of the trip. As you experience, or relive the experience of being in Guatemala again, you’ll come up with so much material, your blog will not be big enough. Remember, you share some common ground with Cardoza y Aragon, so writing should not come as a difficult task to you.

Other tips:

>If weather allows it, a Canopy Zip Line Tour

>Atol de elote, tostadas de guacamol at the corner of La Merced

>Chocolate caliente at La Fonda de la Calle Real

>Piloyes or Pepian at San Felipe de Jesus, a short walk from Antigua

>Take a tour around Antigua, there are many interesting little towns like Santa Maria de Jesus. Do it with family or a recommended Tourist Guide. As with any other city you’re not familiar with around the globe, don’t wonder around by yourself unless is during the day and in open spaces.


Have a nice trip and lots of fun.