Friday, June 12, 2009

Guatemala Documentaries: Part II

If yesterday it felt like we had been here weeks, we have now progressed to months. Though an ordinary day, it was nevertheless a fascinating one. Today we went out with my aunt Thelma to get our “necessaries” taken care of. We went to a mall and bought a cell phone. I’m still amazed that I got a cell phone, even better than the ones I use in the United States for about $6, minutes and all. Granted, we only have three contacts at the moment, but it’s exciting nonetheless! And it comes with a converter for everything, from temperature in Kelvin, Fahrenheit and Celsius, to currency, to weight.

We then stopped for a quick lunch ($2 for an amazing wrap!) and a delicious latte made with three milks. I’ve decided it’s just not fair. Every part of the world I’ve been to has amazing coffee, except for us. Sad day.

We then went to exchange money, which I have never personally done in Guatemala. Mostly because I’ve always been strongly urged not to, due to the high number of assaults and robberies that happen to people coming out of banks. I don’t know if I could ever get used to having armed military officials with rifles outside of every bank entrance.

No comments: