Sunday, June 14, 2009

Guatemala Documentaries: Part IV

We were just awoken by my cousins running in all excited—no, perhaps excitement is the wrong word. It was a combination of excitement and shock as they said, “Did y’all feel that?!”

“Whaughathght?” (That’s our sleepy ‘What?’)

“Everything was moving and shaking!”

Apparently there was a minor earthquake tremble that almost broke some dishes. They reassured us they’ve been pretty common lately though and that we have nothing to worry about. When I read about it later in the newspaper, it turns out it was a 5.2 tremor on the richter scale. Don’t know what that means, but I’ll find out later I suppose!

So then we went to church…but it turns out it was Corpus Christi day…which means all masses are put on hold until evening so the mornings are spent in elaborate processions.

So we went to a priest’s house whom with my family is good friends with for lunch. We arrived with a full Guatemalan feast in hand at around 2 p.m. and stayed until about 6 p.m. All we did was eat and talk. But what an amazing afternoon it was.

Our priest-host was a fascinating person. I still can’t get used to being introduced as “Carlos’ daughter” and always getting the, “Oh! How is your dad doing? I remember when you were really little…” But anyway, in some sense an excommunicated from the Catholic church, he is actually a Filipino priest who decided he loved Guatemala too much to leave it. So now he started a school that teaches Indigenous Guatemalan women and children and has his own coffee business and plantation to support his school.

I was astounded that he has a better Guatemalan accent than I do! But then again, as I’ve learned this trip, I have a heavy American accent and intonation. :( I am determined to return with a full Guatemalan accent by the end of July, however!

Talking with this priest, I also got to see one of my great-aunts (or something) who told us stories of my great-grandparents, where I learned for the first time that my grandfather grew up an orphan in a convent with his eight brothers and sisters. Why my parents don’t tell me these things is beyond me!

2 comments:

rosmari said...

It excites me more than it probably should that you found a Filipino priest in Guatemala.

Karina Reyes said...

haha, he was pretty cool. I talked to him about you for a little. :)