Monday, March 16, 2015

Bridging classic and technological art

I am a traditionalist in most senses. I like things that are classic, that never go out of style--I mean, it's harder to point and laugh at a Michelangelo than a Pollock, right? A couple of years ago I took on a project that, for the first time, forced me to combine my outdated traditional art skills with all-too-ubiquitous and necessary tech art skills.

One of my major goals the last few years has been to focus more on 21st-century skills. All my life, I painted and drew. I was the token artsy girl in high school--sans beret. I made very pretty paintings and was patted on the head for my pleasant work. Well. For everything a season, right?  

I've been trying to figure out a long-term project for myself this year, which has led me to look back on old work, from the time I was 10. I will be posting some, mostly for comic relief, in the coming months. Bear with me.

One project I really enjoyed in 2013 was a graphic design-based freelance volunteer position. I went in thinking I'd be coordinating a graphic designer and artist, when it hit me--I already knew a girl with a four-year art degree with graphic design skills to match. Myself.

So I sat down and sketched out a preliminary concept for organic farming in Austin. It went something like this:


Ok, I thought. I don't entirely suck. So I worked with it a bit more, and got to this:


HELL YEAH, I thought. (I have put next-to-no effort in doing anything artistic since graduating from college.) 

I engaged in a back-and-forth email draw with the nonprofit I was working with, tweaking this and that. Behold the beginnings of busting out graphic designs skills I hadn't used since 2006, like a badass:



After many, many, painful hours of refiguring out that cumbersome program, I got here:


Trust me, I was blown away by myself. Adobe Illustrator and I spent many long night hours together. We feel comfortable with our intimacy at this point. Despite the many moments of wanting to hurl my computer at a window or two, I really enjoyed this experience.

The Green Corn Project  people were so gracious to work with. They were very receptive and offered great input every step of the way. It's incredibly rewarding to share your skills with someone and bounce ideas back and forth, because nine times out of ten, they offer new ideas you might've not come by with just your screen and coffee and couch. 

So there you have it. The creative process from a traditional artist unveiled. The whole project itself took roughly two months, from initial draft to printing. Feel free to ask questions. I am always bugging my graphic design friends (thanks, Jessica Wyatt for your unending patience) with questions when I feel unsure of how to do something, so I'm more than willing to help anyone out. Also, if anyone ever wants help with graphic design work, more than happy to do that as well.

If you yourself work with a designer, just remember to give them enough creative liberty to flourish in ideas, but guide the process by offering tons of suggestions. Even if they're not all implemented, I guarantee your two cents will be reflected in your product. Relationships between client and designer can be mutually beneficial when conducted in a positive, receptive manner.

One last comment: Green Corn Project is a great organization if you're looking to volunteer. They host multiple "dig-ins"several times a year. You help low-income families around Austin plant garden beds to provide some extra organic nutrition. Great people, great purpose. Great fun.

Can't wait to do another. 











No comments: