Monday, April 23, 2012

Book review: The Female Brain

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
The Female BrainIf you're of the female gender, you've often found yourself wondering if the things you feel/say/do make any sense at all. Subsequent thoughts of "Am I crazy?" follow.  This book pretty much resolved all these issues.

Broken down into the phases in which a woman's brain develops from conception to teenage years, young adult years, motherhood all the way to post-menopausal, it offers pretty good, succinct insight of what's to come.  I think it's a great read for women at any age. I wish I had read this when I was younger.

Funny enough, this book was a great follow-up to Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. While that book explained the dichotomy between being an introverted/extroverted individual, this book made distinctions based on gender.

The one thing I will say that I did not like about this book was the overall tone. This woman, much like Susan Caine with Quiet , presumes that our gender is the superior one and is very condescending toward men in a way. Sorry, boys.

As with anything that generalizes a huge group of people, I definitely think this book should be read with a "filter" (to quote The Perks of Being a Wallflower. :) Keep in mind not everything applies to everyone, 100% of the time.


No comments: